Unlimited websites hosted
30-Day Free Trial
5 websites hosted
30-Day Free Trial
What Does Shared Hosting Packages Signify?
A shared hosting solution includes depositing and/or sharing given web content on a web server handled by a shared hosting provider. There are different types of hosting services utilized for different aims, so let's study these. In that way, you can decide what you want, on the basis of whether you desire to build a web site, email aliases, or to share files with buddies and partners.
- File hosting: a solution distributed by various file storage providers, which permits you to share big files. These could be disk images, movies, audio files, archived files, etc. This solution is also known as file storage, and its sole purpose is to share files, since it does not offer site uploading. Once the files are uploaded, you will either obtain a randomly generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to read a list of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to view .html or .php web site files in your web browser. Free file hosting accounts are often supported by displaying adverts by the download links, while a timer compels you to await a certain interval of time to observe them. A single file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you possess a paid file storage plan, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download instantly, and also there is no limit with regard to the download speed or the file size.
Nowadays, with the assistance of the cPanel web hosting vendors, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more stylish "cloud shared hosting". This is a completely inapt explanation of the actual meaning of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud shared hosting platform would allocate the workload between individual packs of web servers in a cluster, which are dedicated to serving different shared hosting services (email, data storage, statistics, DNS, databases, website hosting Control Panel, etc.) So, the file hosting service is merely a sort of a storage space hosting service, not a cloud shared hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: close to file hosting; given firms offer a hosting service for pictures only. This hosting variant is good if you would like to share a vast quantity of pictures with chums or partners since the solution is generally free of charge. You will receive a randomly generated link for each and every image or album and you can then share this link. As with the file hosting solution, .html and .php files are not supported, so the solution cannot be used for websites.
- E-mail hosting: a service committed to managing your e-mail accounts. Some vendors offer shared hosting services for websites, but do not offer an email solution. If you want to manage an e-mail address with your domain but do not wish to possess a site, then the e-mail shared hosting solution is what you need. You can create email accounts and administer them, but there will be no web solution for the domain name. The email hosting solution involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP mail servers.
- Video hosting: this solution enables you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to a particular video file, or you can embed the video clip in your web page that is hosted somewhere else. The benefit of using this approach instead of uploading the video in a web hosting account is that the video brings about a certain amount of CPU load, so with a bunch of video clips and a few hundred web page viewers, you may have a hard time with your shared hosting quotas. Embedding the video clip will allow you to operate as many video files as you want without worrying about system supplies.
- Shared hosting: this is the service that you require if you wish to possess a site. To a certain extent, it includes all of the abovementioned hosting forms since, along with your web pages, you can also host images and files, you can run databases and e-mail box accounts, upload videos, and so on. At Asterhost.com you can view shared shared hosting and dedicated server accounts that permit you to have all of the abovementioned solutions in one location. There may be restrictions depending on the form of shared hosting service that you've chosen - a free web hosting plan, a paid shared web hosting package, a virtual private servers or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your shared hosting account may be better or worse compared with the ordinary email/file/video/image hosting packages that are conceived for particular content only.